Joseph Smith introduced the wearing of garments to a select group of men early back in 1842 as a symbol of their unity. On Wednesday, May 4th, 1842, Joseph Smith anointed nine men along with himself and the name of that group varies between “Holy Order,” the “Quorum,” the “Holy Order of the Holy Priesthood,” or the “Quorum of the Anointed.” We know this now as the LDS Temple endowment.
The original Mormon Magic Underwear garment was designed only for priesthood men, after the pattern of mid-nineteenth century long-johns. It was originally a single piece of garment made of white, unbleached cotton cloth that covered the entire body, arms, legs to neck – everything. No buttons were used on the garment but it rather had four to five tie-strings that took their place to hold the front closed.
The scriptures also make many references to ancients wearing the protective garments. It actually goes back to Adam and Eve as they are widely believed to have been wearing the garments upon their exit from the secret Garden. The Latter-Day Saints garment is given to remind wearers of the continuing need for repentance, the need to honor covenants and promises made in the Church and that there is always a need for repentance. It was also created to remind the wearer to lead an honest and kind life – treating others how he/she would want to be treated and keeping the needs and wants of God close to their mind, body and spirit.